of Women and Men
in Church and Society
The Community of Women and Men in Church and Society
standing committee of the Conference of
the Methodist Church of New
Te Hahi Weteriana o Aotearoa.
Our mission is:
- To encourage the Methodist Church of New Zealand,
Te Hahi Weteriana o Aotearoa, to work within its Mission Statement by influencing further
developments of inclusive structures and processes that allow all women and
men to feel valued and able to contribute their gifts.
- To respond to
gender related issues of justice in the wider community.
To achieve this Mission we aim to:
- enhance the profile and participation of women within the Church.
- advocate for those who feel alienated.
- educate about the dynamics of power, ways of enabling people to be
empowered, and appropriate leadership styles.
- monitor the life and decisions of the Church to ensure all people's
contributions are valued and considered.
- educate about church structure and processes.
- promote creativity and exploration of new ways of being the Church.
- communicate/liaise with the connexion regarding concerns brought to our
attention by individuals or groups within the Church that relate to our
||We have adopted a well-known Dunedin identity, the
albatross, as our symbol.
Both parent birds incubate the egg
containing new life - a partnership of care and concern.
- The Community commissioned William Elderton to produce The Male Closet in Many a Classroom,
an annotated booklist of teenage novels on the issues of being gay.
We have made this publication available on this site. It is
also obtainable within New Zealand in printed form for $5. Send to
us, care of the Dunedin Methodist Mission, P.O. Box 5076,
Dunedin. We are currently producing a similar list on the issues of
being lesbian, and we are looking into the possibilities of lists on
- We have reactivated, and are updating, the People's
Resource File. This file will give Church committees,
boards, and groups access to names of people who have special
expertise and are willing to serve.
- The area of sexual harassment and abuse is of concern to the
Community. We are continuing work on an information poster to be
available to each congregation, and a resource booklet listing
books, videos, etc for use by District Trainers and others.
- A list of inclusive hymns, compiled in Dunedin, is
available through the Community. The charge for this is also $5.
Keeping in touch:
|| An important part of our mission is keeping a good line of
communication open between ourselves and the people of the church. We
are establishing in parishes a network of people to be our contacts and to
communicate news to congregations.
Those with an interest in the work of the Community can join our mailing
list, and receive our regular newsletter, at a cost of $5 per
year. Send your subscription to our mailing list, again care of
Dunedin Methodist Mission, P.O. Box 5076, Dunedin.
The Convener's e-mail address is: firstname.lastname@example.org .